Buying your own garbage disposal might seem to be a bit difficult at first. Good thing that the whole process can now be made easier with the help of this simple guide. Now when you finally reach the point when you want to get one, you will know exactly what you should look for.
Whether you will be getting it for your newly built home or you want to replace your existing unit, you will surely want to get something that is fully functional and will fulfill the needs of your family.
Types of Garbage Disposals
So far, there are two modes of feed type for the kitchen garbage disposals, and these are the batch feed and continuous feed.
- Batch Feed – It is a type of feed wherein you will need to drop the waste food to the kitchen disposal in several batches. For this feed to run, you have to insert the plug to the sink drain then turn it. For starters, put the waste food inside the chamber. The moment you get it filled, place the plug to cover the sink drain and turn it for operating the unit. There are people who do not really prefer this type of operation because you will have to put the cover back for the unit to run. This type is great for those families who have young and small children. This can act as a safety feature for the parents who are worried about their children sticking their small hands into the garbage disposal.
- Continuous Feed – With this type, there is either an air disposal switch or an electric wall switch that will be mounted on top of the sink. First, you need to turn the tap and let the water to flow down your sink. You will then switch the power on for the disposal unit. As its name suggested, you can continuously feed waste food to the chamber during the process of grinding. The best thing about this feed is that this is easy and fast to use. All you need to do is just push down the new food waste while the old one is being grounded and flushed into the drain. This feed type is more common and you can find it installed in the majority of homes.
Size of Garbage Disposaks
There are several standard ratings that are available for garbage disposal motors. But how do you really determine the right size that will fit your needs? For you to know the right size that is suitable for your house, there are two items that you have to consider.
First of all, you will need to consider the overall number of people in your household as well as how often you are going to use it. In case you are cooking regularly and your family is rather large, it means that you will have to grind larger amounts of waste food. Knowing this information, you will be able to decide on the horsepower that is most suitable for your kitchen.
The low end disposal is perfect for one or two persons living together. But the downside is that it might not be that reliable and robust. In worst cases, this might also clog the sewage systems or pipes.
In case you have already decided on getting low end disposals, see to it that you go for 1/2 HP over 1/3 HP. You will need to get a minimum of 1/2 HP garbage disposal unit. With the right maintenance and usage, this horsepower is going to work well for majority of kitchen tasks.
The higher end motors can also grind a bigger volume of waste food and it is also more reliable and robust but it might also be a bit more expensive. This can also perform some of the difficult tasks like grinding the chicken bones regularly.
The biggest advantage is that this has longer lifespan. A motor that is more powerful will have less wear as compared with the low end units that are grinding the similar waste food volume. So, a ¾ or 1HP garbage disposing unit will be more ideal for bigger families as well as for those who are cooking often and will need to use the unit regularly.
If you have plans to get a higher end disposal unit, it will be a better choice to get one that has 1HP motor. It is a motor that has the tendency of having the best anti-jamming features and offer smoother operation.
Pointers to Remember When Getting Your Own Garbage Disposal
- Have you already done an installation in the past?
Will you be hiring an expert plumber who will do the garbage disposal installation? If not, see to it that you will not have any problems with mounting. But in case you have already done it in the past or you have experience or skill in plumbing, this task might not really be a big problem for you.
If you are first timer, make sure that you check the kind of mounting hardware that is used by the model or you might also want to read the comments that were given by the actual users when it comes to installation.
You also need to decide in advance if you will use a direct wire or hard-wired connection or if you will use a power cord. The power will need to be plugged into the electric outlet before being activated through the wall switch. If you already have a garbage disposal, you can still use the similar kind of connection. However, you need to ensure that everything will be in great working condition.
- Are you after a quiet operation?
Every person has his or her preference when it comes to the noise that is generated by the garbage disposal unit. There are some people who are not even bothered about it. This will only happen in several seconds to a minute. However, for some, they might want to go for a quieter unit so that they can still converse well or do other things.
Lower grade garbage disposals have the tendency of being noisier compared to the higher grade ones. The models that have sound insulation technology will typically be more expensive. Just be ready to pay more if you want to go for a unit that is extremely quiet.
- Is there enough space below the sink?
See to it that you have sufficient room below your kitchen sink where you can mount your new garbage disposal. Since you or a professional will do the mounting work underneath, you will need to add space for your hand or body movements.
And don’t assume that you are only going to get down there once. There might be a need for you to do some maintenance work or even have it removed in the near future. The bigger units have the tendency of having higher horsepower plus a big grinding body or chamber. For this reason, it is a must that you check all the important dimensions.
- For how long will you be using the disposal unit?
Do you have plans to stay in the house for a shorter or longer period? In case you have intentions of moving or even selling your house after some time, you might want to get a unit that comes with a one to two year warranty. Meanwhile, if you have plans to stay for a long time, it will be a wonderful idea to have the warranty period of a minimum of 6 years up to a lifetime.
- Do you require a connection to the dishwasher?
Do you have a dishwasher in your home? If yes, do not forget to search for one that has the option for dishwasher connection. It will help you avoid the extensive plumbing work and can also save you more money at the same time.
How Much Will You Spend for a Garbage Disposal?
On the average, garbage disposals run in the range of a hundred to several hundred dollars. Many of the household owners purchase kitchen disposals that come in very affordable prices. The garbage disposals that come for this pricing range are enough to meet the needs of majority of households.
With all of these pieces of information, you will surely be able to find the right garbage disposal that will definitely meet your set budget and your requirements at the same time.
More good stuff here: Learn the Good Things about the Best Garbage Disposal